Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Race That Almost Wasn't...

After over 15 years of running, I FINALLY committed to a half marathon a few months back! June 16, Father's Day, was race day and I was PUMPED! I trained for it. Les Mills Combat was my cross training program...combined with Hal Higdon's Half Training Schedule.

The weekend finally came and after weeks, uears really, of preparation I came down with one of the WORST chest colds I have ever had in my life. I am not one to get sick often, but the kids had been sick for two weeks straight...going in rounds, keeping this mama up almost every night leading up to the race. I saw my family doctor the Friday before race day to be sure I didn't have pneumonia and he gave me a thumb's up and "good luck in your race!" I was set!

Saturday night found me flat out in my hotel bed with cough medicine and kleenex. I downed a teaspoon of DM and hit the hay. Sunday was worse. I woke up in a pool of sweat and totally defeated. I googled EVERY variation of "running with head/chest cold" that I could find and it seemed the general consensus was above the neck...fine. Below the neck...attempt at your own risk...lol. I toyed with skipping the race. After reading numerous things to freak myself out just a little more....I decided it was best to put my phone away. I jumped out of bed and determined I was going to try.


Here's the thing about runners. We run. Bad weather? We run. Tired? We run. Flu? We run. Snow? We run. Below zero? We run. I had trained for what seemed like my whole LIFE for this race! I was NOT going to be stopped by a case of the flu. I jumped out of bed and looked around the room where my friend had posted NUMEROUS motivational quotes. This girl...I will forever thank her for doing that. She KNEW. She KNEW how much this race meant to me. She KNEW this was on my bucket list. She KNEW this was my New Year's Resolution and did not want to see me go home with regret. I hopped in the shower, and the steam did me good. I felt better already. I called my husband, slightly bummed I wasn't top notch and he simply told me "Have fun." He knew, too. He knows how much I love running. He knew I trained and I was prepared. He knew how excited I was to do this, encouraging me to go away on a weekend that really should have been all about him. My two biggest supporters were in my corner. I was ready.


We agreed, I should run 10k and reassess. If I felt it too hard, I would pull out at 10. But when I got down to that starting line, I knew I would finish. We had made a goal to finish at 1:50, but under 2:00 would be just fine. We kept a steady pace together and by 15k, I told her to push herself on with a thumb's up. I was comfortable. I was in a rhythm and didn't want to run out of steam in the last few k, but I SO wanted her to see where she would finish. I would never hold another back. She carried on and finished at a strong 1:55...I think had I been in top form, she could have hit our 1:50 goal. I came in 3 minutes behind at 1:58!



I DID IT! I've had this dream for years. I am not sure WHY it took me so long to fulfill it, but I made it and I have NO regrets. I think had I not run, I would have always wondered if I could have. This may not be the best choice for everyone..I would never encourage anyone to push their bodies beyond what they feel capable, but for me...it was the best decision.



I had the best running partner and the best motivators in the world. I now have my 21k under my belt and can honestly say, I gave it everything I had and I am SO glad I did! Would it have been the end of the world if I didn't run? Of course not. But when you set a goal, there is no greater feeling than accomplishment! The next day found me visiting my doctor with a sinus infection...lol, but I daresay it would have been the case anyway. And he congratulated me and sent me on my way with a prescription...;)

New Year's Resolution....check!



2 comments:

  1. So happy for you Heather. You did it!!! Congratulations to you and Aldona. I was so glad to be there to watch you guys finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you came!!! It's wonderful to have cheerleaders!!!

    ReplyDelete